Are you a patient with a dental bridge, braces, or permanent retainer? With such dental restoration and appliances, it may be difficult to floss; some patients may even avoid flossing altogether. A floss threader is a tool that may help you kickstart your regular flossing routine.
A threader is a simple, disposable tool sold in the dental care section of nearly every grocery and pharmacy. You may also get some from your dental clinic. It is easy to use with any kind of floss.
Here’s how to use a floss threader:
- Pull off 12 to 18 inches of your preferred dental floss.
- Insert one end of the dental floss about five inches into the loop of the threader.
- Pass the floss threader under or over any dental appliance such as braces, permanent retainer or bridge.
- Remove the threader from the floss and floss gently back and forth and up and down into the gumline between the teeth.
- Repeat the process.
– from PaNou V. (Dental Assistant)