If you remember this song and still have all your teeth, you are doing well. Summer vacations can throw us out of our good oral hygiene routine. Nothing can replace brushing and flossing, but here are some things you can do in a pinch:
1. Drink plenty of water: it can lower the acid level in your mouth immediately. Water is a MUST in summer.
2. Chew sugar free gum or have a mint with xylitol. Xylitol prevents the bacteria in plaque from metabolizing sugar that creates the acids which cause tooth decay.
3. Eat raw fruits and vegetables that taste so good in season. The fibrous nature of foods (especially pears and celery) requires chewing and produces an abundance of saliva and physically removes plaque.
4. Choose snacks like cheese and yogurt that contain casein, a protein found in milk that is useful for fortifying the tooth surface.
It's summer, so kick back in your hammock and Floss like a Boss!
- from Jill S. (Dental Hygienist)